Across all kinds of industries, businesses are automating their operations and finding new ways to create efficiencies with artificial intelligence (AI). Micro-mobility is no different, especially bike sharing.
The challenge for many operators is to understand the value of automation and how it can influence the future of their operations. The immediate response to AI-based automation is that it will simply replace humans and it will be a driver for job losses.
In fact, Gartner reports that automation related to AI will lead to 1.8 million in job losses but it will create 2.3 million new jobs. AI will drive a net gain of 500,000 new jobs, according to the research firm. Automation isn’t as simple as a swapping out humans for software.
In micro-mobility automation is about creating new efficiency, scalability and speed. Here are five ways automating processes will change your Bike Share Scheme:
- Reduced Costs – Data has shown that despite tripling the size of the scheme, one Bike Share operator reduced the required rebalancing fleet by 50% whilst achieving their SLA of 97% usability through automating their processes. Automating the decision making within a Bike Share Scheme enables operators to scale back on the need for trucks, drivers, and management staff. While resources are reduced, the management platform will continue to achieve the desired outcomes set out by the scheme.
- Increased Profitability – Automation supported with AI enables precise redistribution of fleets across a cityscape in real-time. That means users can get the bikes they want where they want them. Planning and decision making can be made as situations change in a city and that will have a direct impact on the experience for users. When users have an optimised experience, they are more likely to use a scheme and ridership increases. That drives long-term profitability and creates loyal users.
- Gain New Scalability – When you automate processes, your scheme can grow seamlessly. You don’t need to add new team members or look at increasing fleet size. You can simply replicate the same processes in new locations and manage resources efficiently across a larger area. It makes it easy to grow efficiently. You are able to make data-driven decisions furthering the automation and optimisation of your current fleet to reduce wasted journeys. At the same time, if you’re looking at adding new vehicles to your scheme like e-bikes, scooters or e-scooters, they’re simple to add to the existing platform.
- Deliver Consistency and Reliability – Automation removes the risk of human error and enables schemes to move faster. With any manual processes that requires human intervention, there’s a risk that something can go wrong. When a scheme removes the manual processes, they gain consistency and reliability that translates into a predictable cost base and a stable user experience.
- Benefit from Transparency and Data Mining – Automationenables data to be capture end-to-end across a scheme and processed immediately. That means meeting SLAs and KPIs becomes simpler and services can be tracked for performance. The more online and connected a scheme is, the easier it is to gain insights and make long-term decisions about investments and opportunities. There’s less reliance on a human’s gut instinct and more on intelligence gathered across a scheme.
Bike Share Schemes that automate their processes move away from a reactive model and increase their agility and adaptability. The benefits cascade across an organisation and enable it to grow efficiently.
We’re experts in automating micro-mobility schemes and if you’d like to learn more about how a your scheme can benefit from automation, get in touch: firstname.lastname@example.org