In 2018, we took our business to a new level and put a foundation in place to continue our growth globally whilst utilising our technology to solve new challenges. It was also the most exciting and successful year Stage Intelligence has had to date. We executed our vision for AI-optimised mobility and our partners are seeing the results every day.
This year we met partners across the globe, had more productive conversations, and listened to a growing number of operators as they look to innovate their operations. At every event I attend, I’m reminded of how young, fresh and exciting the Micro-Mobility market is. Everyone is looking at ways to deliver for end users, improve and expand their operations across urban areas or with new modes of transport.
It really feels like 2018 was a landmark year for Micro-Mobility in terms of growth and recognition. The pace of change has been amazing, and the ups and downs throughout the year have shown how important it is to have simple and powerful solutions for managing an increasingly complex mobility landscape.
That’s where we are creating real long-term value for our partners no matter how their organisations evolve in the future. From start-up operators through to the largest Bike Share Schemes in the world, our platform is simplifying and accelerating how they operate.
I’m extremely proud of all that our team has achieved in 2018 and we saw what we are capable of. I know we can continue to build on our success and not only enable more partners to benefit from our platform, but also enable more users to experience the best Micro-Mobility service possible. I believe we can play a critical role in creating sustainable mobility options, businesses and urban environments and that is an exciting prospect in 2019 and beyond.
We’re Moving Fast
At the beginning of the year, our BICO AI optimisation platform was live in two Bike Share Schemes, and by December 2018 it had been deployed in 15 schemes across three continents. Our growth has been transformational for our business. We’re operating in a range of unique environments and have shown that we can scale to serve some of the world’s largest and most dynamic schemes. Smaller schemes that have adopted BICO have also seen the benefits of adopting AI within their schemes, making them more cost efficient enabling them to grow and scale efficiently. There really aren’t any limits on where we can deploy our platform and have positive impacts on operational performance.
In July, we announced our deployment in Helsinki with CityBike Finland OY from which it has grown to be our most successful scheme in terms of ridership. After deploying BICO, CityBike Finland saw ridership grow by five riders per bike per day. That means more citizens are using the available bikes and the scheme is growing its profitability, shown by another expansion planned for the coming season – It’s a win-win for the city, operator and the users.
In Latin America, we partnered with Tembici to deploy BICO in cities across Brazil including Rio de Janeiro, Sao Paulo, Recife, Salvador, Port Alegre and Vila Velha. Our phase two deployments include Santiago, Chile, and Buenos Aires, Argentina. This is a major leap forward for our presence in South America and a vote of confidence in our platform. Tembici believes in BICO and will utilise the platform to scale their operations across Latin America and beyond.
In Europe, we’re working with Smovengo and have deployed BICO across the Velib in Paris, France. We’re extremely proud to see BICO live in the largest Bike Share Scheme in the Western world, and increasing the usability of more than 21,000 bikes of which 7000 will be electric. It’s a major milestone for our business and really shows that no matter the size of scheme, season, vehicle type or weather, BICO can drive efficiencies for our partners.
Each of these BICO deployments shows the potential of our business to directly influence the future of Micro-Mobility globally, and enable the success and growth of more operators across the world. With every scheme we add we’re evolving, refining and improving our platform. Each scheme adds something new and drives our platforms features and functionalities forward.
Priorities in 2019
Since becoming CEO of Stage Intelligence in 2018, I’ve been focused on continually pushing our business forward and building on and adding to our successes. The biggest challenge in AI and Micro-Mobility is remaining focused on where we add value and not try to chase every opportunity. We have to stay aligned with our original purpose. We make solving complex challenges simple for our partners.
In 2019, we’re going to build on our core strengths and use all we’ve learned to expand into some new areas. I see 2019 as a year where we add some new dimensions to BICO and find some interesting ways to add value for our partners.
There are six areas that we are going to prioritise in the 2019:
- Nurturing Our Core – We will continue to grow the number of Bike Share Schemes we’re deployed in and support more operators globally. There are more than 1,600 Bike Share Schemes globally and we know that we can help them to operate efficiently and deliver an optimised experience for users. I see huge potential in North America, and we’ll be making a big push in the market in 2019.
- Adding New Capabilities – We’re expanding what our platform can do for our partners. We’re adding new support for managing broken bikes, electric bikes and optimised battery management. Operators need a more efficient way to deal with maintenance and we see an opportunity for BICO to help them solve these challenges.
- Supporting Hybrid Models – We’re looking at ways to support Hybrid Bike Share models where docked and dockless systems are integrated. Depending on the exact model, bikes can be docked at physical docking stations, “virtual docking stations” or remain free-floating. It adds new complexity to scheme management but ultimately offers a flexible user experience. The challenge is to help operators manage their bikes and ensure they are available when and where they’re needed.
- Deliver Micro-Mobility Through a Single Pane – As the number of modes of transport grow across a city, we’re developing ways to visualise the entire Micro-Mobility landscape in an urban area. Operators want to see and understand their entire operating environment through a simple, optimised dashboard. They want to gain insights from data and make faster decisions. Micro-Mobility will only grow in complexity and we’re finding ways to make it simpler to manage.
- Growing Our Team – In 2019, we’re going to continue to grow our team and bring on board new skills and talent. We added Alex Churchill to the team at the end of 2018 to expand our AI expertise, and he brings new perspective and insights to our operation. Our AI platform is delivering amazing results and we want to continue to refine and optimise it. The tech team will grow as well as we expand our platform, while sales and marketing will also see new additions.
- Continued Execution for Partners – The most important thing is that we continue to execute for partners and deliver the results we’re capable of. The numbers show precisely the kind of impact we can have on a scheme within months. Each scheme we work with sees cost-savings and new growth in their ridership. It is that simple. We just need to keep delivering for partners.
This Time Next Year
This time next year I think the Micro-Mobility market will have had another year of huge growth and disruption. Personally, we will have double digit growth in the number of schemes we’re deployed in and our platform will support more diverse needs of our partners.
There will be more modes of transport deployed in cities across the globe and the need for a simpler, faster and easier way to manage schemes will only grow. We’re going to work closely with partners to collaborate and co-create features or solutions that solve their challenges. If we keep listening to their needs, the potential in our business is limitless.
Part of this is about getting out in the market and to even more events. We’re going to be sharing our ideas, data and results. I want to evangelise AI in Micro-Mobility and share our partners’ success stories. I see an opportunity for us to offer consultancy to new partners and really act as a trusted advisor for new schemes that are launching, or existing schemes that want to go to a new level.
There has never been a more exciting time in our business and our industry and I’m looking forward to a huge 2019.